Author Topic: Weekend Movie Preview! (8-30-13 AND 9-6-13)  (Read 1295 times)

Fish Fingers and Custard

• POP!Star VIP
  • POP! VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Weekend Movie Preview! (8-30-13 AND 9-6-13)
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »
As the Summer movie season closed on a whimper last week with ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US and GETAWAY, the Fall movie season officially begins this week. Fall is usually slow until November, but I see a few gems on the horizon. One such gem is RIDDICK which is the only new wide release and will have no problem being the NUMBER ONE movie at the box office this week.

One Direction: This Is Us is another one of those 3D concert movies they keep making for some reason. Itís basically a 90 minute behind the scenes extra youíd find on a DVD with some concert footage spliced in. One Direction: This Is Us is clearly made for the bands tween fangirl audience. Everyone else? Move along.

Getaway stars Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez, and Jon Voight and really only accomplishes one thing. It shows us how far Hawke and Voight have fallen being forced to work with Selena Gomez. In the movie a former race car driver (Hawke) is forced behind the wheel and most follow the orders of a mysterious man (Voight) to save his kidnapped wife. A young kid (Gomez) gets caught up in the mix as well. Given that Voight is billed as The Voice and Gomez is The Kid donít expect much folks. Getaway plays like the poor manís Transporter and probably should have gone straight to Netflix.

Riddick is the third installment in The Chronicles of Riddick film series. It stars Vin Diesel as the title character (he also produced the film) and is co-written and directed by David Twohy. Twohy previously wrote and directed the first two installments, Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. Riddick also stars Jordi Mollŗ, Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Dave Bautista, and Karl Urban. This time around Riddick is left for dead on an alien planet. He finds himself up against all sorts of nasty wildlife as well as a team of mercs looking to collect the price on his head. The film plays more like the previous Pitch Black movie which is a good thing. Although I enjoyed The Chronicles of Riddick, I think Riddick is at his best when itís him against the world. What Riddick did best was not alienating first timers. You donít have to see the first two in order to enjoy this one. It does a great job of filling in what you need to know from those first two films while simultaneously giving us longtime fans some new mythology.

MY PICK OF THE WEEK is obviously Riddick. Itís one of the best sci-fi action flicks Iíve seen in a long time. It doesnít hurt that itís rated R and the film can just go for it either.

http://www.mentalhealthday.net/apps/blog/show/32881100-weekend-movie-preview-8-30-13-and-9-6-13-
"Never apologize for being nerdy, because unnerdy people never apologize for being assholes."